Thursday, June 26, 2008

Homeless pets as a result of homeless families

I've finished my first day. As with any volunteer work, you go where you are needed. Because of my past experience with cats, and because the Lead for that area was leaving, they've asked me to work this position. So today I learned the ropes. I've met some great volunteers, cleaned cages, and held many cats craving attention. Now I am settling down in the college gymnasium.

Most of the dogs and cats in the shelter are owned, but the families cannot live in their homes. The floods here reached an historic 500 year high, cresting at 30 feet. Normal river depth is 10 feet. Several neighborhoods and a lot of the downtown district were damaged. The waters have gone down, and clean up has begun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Working 12 hour days and sleeping in a gymnasium doesn't leave much time for blogging. I know you're working hard an the owners of the pets you are caring for are grateful.

I've heard from Suzy that there are around 230 cats under the care of her team. I cannot even imagine what that looks like.

Keep up the good work!