Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Shelter

I met the cutest dog from the Cedar Rapids shelter today when I was out directing traffic! She's one of those who loves to jump up on you. I greeted her and did a 30 second "sit" and "shake" lesson. She was all over "shake" since all she wanted was for her front feet to be up on me!

About 15 minutes later, here she comes again dragging a different handler. When she arrived, the handler said, "she wanted to come up and greet you." It was almost like she was saying, "come on, come meet my new friend!" She started to jump up and I asked her to sit. She did it immediately and offered her paw. How smart!

The Cedar Rapids shelter was destroyed in the flood. Luckily, the college has space to house the shelter animals as well. The Kirkwood Foundation has set up a fund for rebuilding the shelter. Donations can be sent to Kirkwood Foundation, c/o Friends of the Cedar Rapids Shelter, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd SW, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52406.

I'll be going over to the shelter's building tomorrow (shelter animals and displaced pets are in different buildings) and will try to get a picture of her!

No comments: